In this part you will set up a database to keep record of your customers. We will add different data fields with name and address of your customer. Finally we will customize the layout of data records and overviews.
Create a database
- Start Ninox.
- Click on “New Database”.
- Enter a name for your database.
- Choose where you want to store your database: on your local machine or in iCloud.
Selecting iCloud will enable the synchronisation feature.
Create a table
Once you have created a database the screen will show to the database homepage.
Note that the wrench icon is highlighted in red. This indicates that the administration mode is active. Click the wrench to activate/deactivate the administration mode. You can create new tables in administration mode only. Other features, like “data model” and “options” may also be available in the admin mode only.
- Click on “New table”.
Add data fields to the table
Now you see the table editor. You can add data fields to your table by drag and drop.
Please follow these steps:
- First enter a name for the table on the top left.
We recommend not to use special characters or white spaces for table names.
- Start by adding text-fields for name, address and so on.
There are different data field types you can choose from, e.g. text, multiline text,numbers, dates or Email. The order of the fields can be changed by drag and drop.
- Add an Email-field
- Add a Choice-field for “Gender”
- Click “Save changes”.
You’ll get back to the database home screen. You will discover your newly created table “Costomers”.
Edit field properties
All fields have properties.
- Click on the table Customers you just created.
- Click on the choice-field “gender” to open and edit the field properties.
Now, you get to the field editor. For each field you can define and customize different field properties.
- Click on “Add value” and add values for “Mr” and “Ms”
Now your table gets a dropdown box from where you can choose the gender.
- Click on “Required” and choose “Yes” to make it mandatory for every data entry.
- Click Ok to get back to the table field's editor.
- Click on “save changes” to save and get back to the database home screen.
Now you get to the data view of your table and to start creating data records. The data fields you created before will be shown as columns.
- Click on top on “Create record” or in the first empty line to open the data entry form
Note that Ninox by default will only shows the first 7 data fields. You can customize which and how many fields are displayed. It is possible to create different data views (We will be cover this in the 2nd part of this tutorial).
- Click the (+) sign on top (“Create record”) or the first empty line to open the data entry form.
Now the data entry form opens with all the fields of the table you defined before.
- Fill out the form
- Create as many records as you like
Note that we have made the gender field compulsory before.
Edit the data entry form
The data form has a 4-Column Layout. You can customize the width of each data field.
- Activate the Admin Mode by clicking on the wrench icon.
- Now you can edit every data field.
- Click on top of a data field to edit its properties.
If the admin mode is active you can change the layout of your form:
- By pulling the white squares on the left and bottom you can adjust the size of each field.
- Change the position of fields with drag&drop.
- Click on the tab “Customers” on top of the form.
Add Layout Elements to the form
It is possible to add layout elements like heads, spaces and line breaks to structure the form. You can also add tabs to your data entry form.
- Add layout elements.
- To save changes click on “Save changes” (in red).
When you go back to the table field editor you notice that you can also change and add layout elements from here.
To get ready for the next chapter please create more records or try the CSV import to get data from other sources.