User rights required to make manual backups?

For the Ninox Cloud does a Team member need to be an "owner" to be able to perform manual backups?

6 replies

null
    • Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@Dean..  that is a great question.  A Ninox provided RACI would be nice. 

What I have found is that an "Owner" (aka Team Owner) or an "Admin" (aka a Role within a Team) can do the backup / restore process.    While "making" a back up is non-destructive.. it also gives the ability to to restore .. and download... so Intellectual Property and confidential data may be impacted. 

What is your use case? 

• Choices_Software_Dean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Developer places Ninox solution for a customer in a Team for which the developer is owner. Customer is invited to Team. Customer wants manual backups to be performed at noon and at midnight every day, and they want local access to the backups. Developer wants to grow and have many happy customers with same requirements.

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@Dean

Hmmm..   First.. I get the business desire to have "scheduled backups" as well as "off site" back ups.   

Given that Ninox Cloud is a combination of Software as a Service (SaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS)....  I call it a combination because I can build applicaitons using the platform...  and ASSUMING the users are interacting with the application via Ninox ... Ninox is constantly creating a backup of the database.   Here is an example... I simply open the application GTD (Getting Things Done) .. and add a new "Action".. and poof... Ninox created a back up..   So there really is no need for a "manual" / "timed" backup. 

backUp

That said... if you want the Customer to be able to run their own back ups... The Developer would create a Team per Customer... then set that Customer as "Admin" on that team. 

TeamMember

NOTE.. this gives them Admin over the entire Team.. not just a Database / application.   They can change permissions, add users, add / delete databases .. The Developer would also want to password protect the database to protect their intellectual property (IP)..  Please note, if the Customer also has the Ninox Mac App.. they could restore the database locally .. then import all the tables inot an empty database.  This INCLUDES any logic that is coded in triggers and buttons.   Given that.. it is a Best Practice to put all IP type logic in global functions and then call the global function from triggers / buttons.     

I believe there is a request for a "back up" type role.. as well as a "scheduled" back up...  I am not sure about the automatic download. 

I have been thinking about aRobotic Process Automation (RPA) typle solution that could be scheduled to run and accomplish this task.. but have yet to dig into it. 

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

oops.. sorry for the Type-Os... I need new glasses I guess.. :) 

• Choices_Software_Dean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you for your very helpful information. It sounds like protecting a solution with a password and changing customer to "admin" is the way to go. With a customer admin having control over an entire Team, how would they differ from being an "owner", for a unprotected solution?

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@Dean

Great question.   I believe the only difference is that an Admin CANNOT remove the Owner.. but the Owner CAN remove the Admin. 

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 6Replies
  • 1363Views