How to search from parent to child

Literally every day I learn something new about Ninox. This morning I learned something new that might help others as well. I imported data from a contacts table and a phone numbers table. Phone numbers were in a separate table to allow an unlimited number of phone numbers per contact. Following the import, the phone numbers table became the child of the contacts table. Nothing unusual so far.

The use case was that when our customers call in we ask them for their phone number, and use the number to look up their contact record. If there was more than one phone number per company, that was not a problem because we stored mulitple phone numbers per company.

Now I needed to determine how to search contacts by phone number in our new Ninox solution.

I solved the problem by adding a related phone number column to our contacts list. At first it appeared that I could only choose to include the first or last related phone number. However, then I noticed the "concatenated" option. That option solved my problem. It concatenates all of the phone numbers into the one column. The result is that we now can search for a contact by any phone number. Hope this helps someone else.

1 reply

null
    • Wire and Wings LLC
    • Mary_C
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

That is awesome - thanks!

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 1Replies
  • 803Views