Templates and Manual

Hello,
I really like Ninox, but I find it a little annoying, as others have said in the past, to want to develop my applications in this DB and I can not because I do not have a good manual or some sophisticated templates.

How difficult it is for you to enrich templates with e.g. buttons that perform complex tasks.

You released version 2.4 a few days ago. So what? Even the link https://ninoxdb.de/en/whatsnew is on 2.3.0.

Come on people...

Nick

20 replies

null
    • Michael
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

What’s wrong with the templates and the manual? 

I have done many applications with Ninox now with the same preconditions as everyone here. 

More appreciation from you here is very well-adjusted and very rude to note the staff at Ninox do not enough work. 

Michael

• Nick
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Complains are all over the forum...

"What’s wrong with the templates and the manual?"

One example only. With v2.4.0 introduced embeded charts in the forms.

How? One example, one line of code?

I'm not rude, I just believe first update the manual then release new version.

Don't forget, this is paid software...

Nick

• Paul
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I concur. Elegant software with very good online support let down by a lack of timely or coherent documentation i.e. language definition with working examples. I'm thinking of going back to Filemaker and wait another year or so before I look at Ninox again when they've had time to catch up and its a bit more mature.

• Michael
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Been the FileMaker way, many hundreds of dollars later and a incompetent support, I went to Ninox. The Ninox team is always there with a solutions or work around if problems occur in short time. 

AU$15 per month full a scriptable I could database is a bargain. 

• Support
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    • Support
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You are also invited to join our Webinar EN 2018 team with sample databases. Just send a short e-mail to support@ninoxdb.de and will invite you to the team.

Greetings, Jörg

• Michael
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Is there an option for people from overseas those cannot attend the webinar? 

Would love to know more and have samblendatabases to learn more.

• Support
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Michael,

you can join the Webinar team (an Ninox Cloud team where the sample databases are stored) also if you are not joining the webinar itself. I already invited you to the team. Please accept the invitation in order to get access to the team.

Best, Jörg

• Sakshi_Singh
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Nick,

We appreciate your feedback and are in the process of building a comprehensive manual. You have been invited to a webinar team, please accept your invitation to access the use cases. The what's new section will be updated, however details of the new release and all other updates from Ninox will now be posted on our blogs page, https://ninoxdb.de/en/blog/ninox-release-2-4

Please also have a look at the other blogs :)

Regards,

Sakshi-Ninox   

• Nick
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks a lot Sakshi,

Nick

• Lawrie_Holtby
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I concur with these comments. I’m an experienced vba/vb/access/sql server developer but this is no help. Neither is the scant manual, the opaque templates and the pedestrian YouTube videos. Don’t misunderstand, I love Ninox and have, in 1 week, surpassed what I had in Access (that has taken months of work). I just need a syntax manual for each command/keyword to help me with the fancy stuff. I can’t even see how to write my own Switch statement. Any help in this area appreciated. There must be plenty of developers with the necessary skills.

• Ninox partner
    • RoSoft_Steven.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Lawrie,

There is since this year a Premium Partner who provides a lot of documentation, videos on his youtube channel and templates. Also recordings of his past webinars. Have a look at www.nioxus.com for info. Also the webinars here provides a lot of interesting issues.

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Lawrie,

Please don't take this personally... You say you don't like the "pedestrian" YouTube videos, but you complain about not being able to accomplish a task that is covered in many posts in this forum...

https://ninoxdb.de/en/forum/technical-help-5ab8fe445fe2b42b7dd39ee7/help-with-a-formula-5d0620b183905f02c7acceb6?post=5d06431493dba73cfa29265d&page=1

If documentation was perfect, there wouldn't be any need for user forums or sites like https://stackoverflow.com/. I don't program for a living, though would like to eventually. Most of my understanding of Ninox comes from a combination of this, https://ninoxdb.de/en/manual/calculations/reference-of-functions-and-language, the user forum and experimentation. As you say, you are already ahead of the game relative to your use of Access, so take the time to really look at the language reference and threads in this forum and if you still need help post a question. Just my 2 cents.

Sean

• Lawrie_Holtby
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks Steven and Sean, I'm not offended and I take your pointabout the forum. I still would like some way of finding help - if I put in a search I still don't get a simple answer.

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Lawrie, I totally get your frustration. There are many changes to the forum alone that would make getting the information you are seeking a more productive process. The forum needs moderators that can flag duplicate posts and direct users to a previously answered question, grouping of topics, sticky threads, etc. Also, the Ninox Team seems to be particularly stubborn with regard to updating their documentation.

I've always liked the productivity database software offers having started with dBase IV in the 90's. I guess I have a soft spot for Ninox right now because it rekindled my interest in programming.

• Lawrie_Holtby
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Good one Sean, I also have dbase/foxbase/clipper in my background. I really love the rapid response though of Ninox. I’ve got lots of little questions that a syntax guide (preferably hard copy) would address. My particular query (at present) is I’ve got a table on a form and I want to change the ‘where’ clause in the ‘select’ based on a choice control but the error message suggests my text from the choice (e.g. “All Records”) is a data field which it doesn’t recognise.

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

If you are referring to the View layout element you can use an if-then-else to select records...

let t := this;

if t.YourChoiceField != null then

select YourTable where text(t.YourChoiceField) = "YourFilterCondition"

else

select YourTable

end

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Sorry, "YourFilterCondition" should read "YourFilteredField"

• Nick
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Lawrie, since I was the one who started this thread, I would like to inform you that I have not left Ninox.
    As Sean and Steven said, I found my way through the forum, the manual and the webinars.

• Lawrie_Holtby
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thanks Nick, Sean and Steve. I’ve made considerable progress by trial and error and I thank you all for your help. I’ll continue to pester the forum until a decent guide is written (business idea for someone!).

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 20Replies
  • 6929Views