Script to combine view fields in the column f(x) function

In my record form I'm using tabs to break down the record's fields into different project areas. To track each of these project areas I've created identical choice fields that show 8 stages - A to H. This works fine for the record form, and it means that, in the form, I can arrange things by project. On the views, I want to use groups to arrange records by stage. I think it's possible to use a column's f(x) function to combine my identical choice fields into one column where they can be grouped into As, Bs, Cs and so on. The person who's responsible for stage C can then click the group in that combined column to see all the records, in any project, that need his/her attention. My problem is I have no idea how to write the script. Can anyone give me a sample to adapt? Thanks!  

2 replies

null
    • David
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Sorry it's so long - I'm trying to be clear! 

• David
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Another way of posing the problem:

Field/Column 1 has values A B C D E F G H

Field/Column 2 has values A B C D E F G H

Field/Column 3 has values A B C D E F G H

I need to create a new Column 4 with values A B C D E F G H - which calls in all records from Columns 1, 2 and 3. Thus, if Column 1 has three A's and Column 2 has five A's, then Column 4 would show all eight.

The problem is that if the same record has an A in Column 1 and an A in Column 2, it can't appear twice in Column 4 (as far as I know). So the script might have to include an expression that checks duplicate values and ignores them. Or maybe that would happen automatically, I don't know. 

Anyway, the manual hints that there might be a solution, but has too little detail to help me write the script.

Help!

Content aside

• 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 2Replies
  • 2486Views