Is it possible to fill a choice list from a table? Thanks

For example:

i have a customer table with a sub table linked called “dogs” so every customer might have more than 1 dog.

Anothe table is called activities, this table contains customer with their dogs performing their activities. How can I have a field where I’m able to select a dog for a particular activity? Is it possible to load a list of dogs in a field to make a choice? Thanks

13 replies

null
    • Sakshi_Singh
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi,

A link from dogs table to activity will help you choose from a list of dogs for an actitity.

Dogs activity data model

Regards,

Sakshi- Ninox

• Tomas
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi, could you please explain this more detailed? or i'll try to ask my question.

In the field I need to choose (dropdown list) one of the values (number) from other table's row. How to make it?

Thanks in advance,

Tomas

• Jorg
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi, 

If you go to "Edit fields" you can make connection between the tables by draging the one tables name from the right hand side column into the middle column of your fields:

Table reference

Best, Jörg

• Mconneen
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@Tomas .. what Jörg and Sakshi are explaing is that the "lookup" and assignment is possible.  It will not be the "choice box" UI form object, it is a relationship between two tables.   I believe there is a requested / pending enhancement to source a choice box from a query at somepoint in the future. 

• etiennelj
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi,

I think I have a question about this too...

Capture d’écran, le 2019-04-09 à 15.43.36

In the field "Films", instead of having to click on the search icon, open a window, select the film, etc., I would like the content of the table "Films" to be displayed directly in the field as a drop down list. Is this possible?

Thank you,

Etienne

• Mconneen
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@Etienne

You can display the contents of the Films table in a "view".. but clicking one will only drill into the film record, not populate the reference.  There is a Change Request to provide the ability to populate a drop down from a select / view... but I am not aware of the implementation timeline.  

• mjrudolphi
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

So you cant make a drop down list from a field in another table?  

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@mjrudolphi ... not at this time.. but as you can tell . this is a much requested enhancement.

There are other threads that outline how to use the associated table and "after update" trigger to populate a reference.. so .. In essence, it is a "pop up selection" .. not a "drop down list box"..   Still very effective.. 

• mjrudolphi
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Wow. That seems like a pretty basic feature for a database/dashboarding software. Does Ninox publish a roadmap?

• Daniel_Liwanag
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

any update?

• Daniel_Liwanag
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

any update to this function to re-populate a drop down combobox based on another drop down combobox selection?

• Karen_Estrada
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Yes, indeed it is a VERY much requested feature! ....

I use another dBase design app as well that has that feature ("Picklists"). It gives you quite a few choices re: how the field displays the data on your 'forms' (e.g. 2-3 columns, etc.). Unfortunately the app is 'single user' only - it doesn't have the cloud/share component . I can't wait for that feature *please*.  ke

• sgraham495
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Not sure if this helps.  Table a is AssetMaster which has a popup for related table AssetClass.  Table b. is AssetCategory which is keyed on AssetClass and has multiple values per AssetClass value.  When adding the AssetCategory reference table to AssetMaster I created the following constrait and only see AssetCategory values for the selected AssetClass of the AssetMaster. 

a.AssetClass.Class = b.Class

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 13Replies
  • 5266Views