If I want to send one of my team a link to a record can I construct a URL?

Ideally, I would like to be able to send a notification (email/slack/etc) to one of my team letting them know about a specific record (e.g. new record or updated record event), this seems straight forward enough using triggers. Is there a way of constructing a link URL I can include in the notification that will open Ninox Cloud with that specific record already open/editable. I want to make it as easy as possible to get to the correct record as quickly as possible, e.g. 1 click instead of 4 or 5. This is possible in most online apps by use of a URL. I can see that it is possible to share a table but that's not what I'm looking for. 

12 replies

null
    • Birger_H
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I'm afraid this is not yet possible. There ist no URL to a specific record.

Birger

• sales
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

This would be a great feature for ninox! We use ninox for storing infomation of consumption meters within our fleet and if we could provide urls to each document containing that meter data then it would allow our customers to quickly access the infomation and see any realtime changes that we have made. Is there anything like this coming in future ninox updates similar to what airtable are doing?

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@Alec, 

I agree.. that would be a useful .. and differentiating capability of the cloud app.   That said.. You can work around this by creating a Dashboard (or any kind of opening view) that triggers on open.. and then show a view of records that the user has been tagged / assigned..  

Click One .. open the app .. and pop into the Dashboard view. 

Click Two .. user clicks on desired record .. which opens into edit view. 

Not as smooth as a direct link..  I suspect there may be an html hack... but not sure.. 

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@sales@enica.co.uk 

Do your "Customers" have a Ninox cloud account?   I suspect not.. in which case you can put a front-end web application that queries Ninox via the REST /API to get to the "real-time" data. 

If it is non-sensitive consumtion data that can be displayed via a html/pdf table.. then you can use the "share this view" feature which creates a bit of an obfuscated public URL that can be sent to the customers. 

• Alec
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@Mconneen if I understand you correctly that would require a view for every table or at least a select for each table, and I have quite a few tables, also unfortunately not all my records are tagged/assigned to a user, so that increases complexity on queries. Also if any tables have more than a few records that get updated regularly or at roughly the same time then finding the record on a dashboard can still be tricky. Using the built in Find view is probably as easy for a user to get to a record and doesn't require any work from me! Now a URL to POST a string to the Find view would be a good start. I've had a brief look and even that seems tricky as the entire app seems to be AJAX and just navigating to the Find window can require multiple XHR POSTs and that's beyond my html hacking skills. I don't think it would be too challenging for Ninox to support a GET query string parameter than allows the app to be navigated to a record, it's really about whether they want to prioritise doing it, and given it's a nice to have I'm not holding my breath. 

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@Alec, 

Well.. I did say it is not as smooth.. :)     I agree that a URL with query string that would be a direct link to the row would be ideal.   

I see there is a CR 959 listed in the Ninox BETA Team Change Request database.   If you do not have access, send a note to support to request access.. You can then "Up Vote" that CR to help it gain priority. 

As I understood you to say tag a user... My 2 minute work around was the dashboard.  Yes.. it would require a view for each record you tagged them on.... if they were tagged on 5 different tables.. then they would see 5 views... 3 tables.. only 3 views.. etc..  

Another approach (only a 1 minute design thought) would be almost what you first described.. Use Integromat to send the details of the record to a Slack channel... if there is a limited set of fields to be edited / updated... You could use one of the many "forms" modules (google forms, WuFoo, etc) to collect the updates and post back into Ninox.     The UPSIDE.. your other teammates do NOT need a $100 / year Ninox license..  the DOWNSIDE.. it is more complex..  when a simple URL link would suffice.. :) 

• Alec
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

OK, thanks I'll request access to the CR DB and upvote. I had considered putting my own front end on but the Ninox front end is pretty good and for $100/year a lot cheaper than the dev time I would need to spend. I really appreciate the response and suggestion though thank you. I think I will add a GUID field and include that in the notification to users they can then copy and paste into the find view in Ninox, not too difficult and should make getting to the record a bit easier. 

• Alec
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@Mconneen I've come up with a nicer workaround. I've borrowed your idea of a Dashboard, but instead of lots of views to multiple tables, I've got a single table that I write new records to with the same script that sends the notification (e.g. to slack), i.e. a notification record which includes a reference to the table name and id of the record that was updated. When the user gets the notification they open the dashboard and view for them (maybe by User or Group) which could be automated with openTable() from the DB open trigger. This view contains a filtered list of their unread notification records with each record having a button (or some other trigger) that uses popupRecord() or openRecord() to display the actual record that was updated or needs the attention of the user. Both functions have worked in my quick test (even though the documentation says they are not available in the cloud version). The same trigger code or another then flags the record as read. This way I don't need a GUID, don't need to copy paste, don't need lots of views or fancy queries, don't need to tag records with a user. Still not as good as a URL but it's closer. Thanks for the inspiration.  

• Fileshake
    • Hammer
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I just saw this thread looking to see if Ninox could create a read only url for say an estimate which a client could approve without a login. This is a bit off topic, but based on what I see here it isn't possible withour build a seperate web app. Fair statement?

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@Alec, 

Nice approach!     Would the Kanban board work?   Not sure of the volume of records your folks will look at.  Here is a snapshot of my Get Sh*t Done app (aka David Alan's Getting Things Done approach). 

• Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

2019-11-09_09-42-45

• nathan
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I'm looking to do something similar. Basically have a QR code label next to items on the shelf that can be scanned and open the record directly for all the details. Or one that triggers an action such as "subtract 1 from inventory". This is the one major feature that's making me question leaving Airtable, because everything else in Ninox is much more robust when it comes to custom views etc.

Content aside

• 3 yrs agoLast active
  • 12Replies
  • 5849Views