How to create a field that allows multiple choices

I would like to have an address list that classifies what type of contact the person is, 1) Owner 2) Owner's Rep 3) Architect 4) Creative Director 5) Designer and so on --- BUT --- I need to be able to choose more than one option, and have it list them within the contact record. Many of our contacts fall in multiple categories. Also I need to be able to search based on any one of those choices... like, if I want to email all of the architects...  Does that make sense?

17 replies

null
    • lschanley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Can someone please tell me how to do that? 

• Leonid_Semik
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    • lschanley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I don't understand what you sent me. There is nothing that does that in the contact database you sent me? 

• lschanley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I want to be able to sort my contacts by type within one master database. So, when I enter a new contact, I choose the multiple categories they belong to from a list. Is that not possible? Or can I do it with related fields or something? I'm just not a data geek and am not sure how to make the database do what I want. 

• Leonid_Semik
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

In my Database you can choice one or many categories from the table "Types". And in the table "Types", you can see which contacts belong to the category.

I thought that's what you wanted.

Leo

• lschanley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

When I tried to open it here on the web (the only version I use) it doesn't appear to show that. Is your database named "Contacts"? 

• lschanley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I will try to upload it to my web version and check it out. Thank you!

• lschanley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

It is not opening your file, for some reason. Dropbox only allows me to download the file. I download it, then I double click to open, and it just opens my normal tab with my databases, and the sample database which when I open, does not have your database. 

• Leonid_Semik
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

You can download this file to your descktop.Then you can click on "import archive" on your web version and choice the file.

Leo

• lschanley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you so much Leo. I will try that!

• lschanley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Okay - I did it, but when I imported it, and then imported my data into your database, it messed up the contact type. I don't know how to begin to fix it! 

• Leonid_Semik
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

you can not import your data into my database. The database is for example only, so you can see how your problem can be solved.

Leo

• lschanley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I was able to get it to work. Sorry for my lack of knowledge or know-how!  You do not happen to have a database of the countries of the world, do you? Something I can implement that will allow entry person to choose the correct country for a contact? 

• lschanley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Oh - and Leo - do you know how I can get it to show contacts based on Type? What is the best way to do that? 

• lschanley
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

What I mean by that, is can I filter only those of a certain type? And also, how can I display the contact types I've designated for a contact within a contact list? 

• Leonid_Semik
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    • Leonid_Semik
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

There are several possibilities for that. I have a sample database here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6mqm28ce6ktx0t/Contacts.ninox?dl=0

You can create multiple views for the Contacts table above and filter the Types column there. Problem is, you have to manually create a view for each type.
    You can also use the "Types" table. There, the contacts are already assigned automatically in a sub-table. But here you need two clicks to come to contacts (because of n: m relationship)

Content aside

• 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 17Replies
  • 5372Views