how to change the type of a field

how to change the defintion of a field, i.e from numeric to alphanumeric, without reentering the values.

11 replies

null
    • Birger_H
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

This is not possibe. Here is the workaraound:
    / Create a new field.
    / Use "Update multiple records" to transfer the values.
    / Delete the old field.

Birger

• marc
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

It works fine, it is just what I needed.

Thanks for your help.

Meanwhile I learned how to use lpad, because I wanted a "0" in front of numbers less than "10", so I can sort the field correctly.

• Retired
    • Pete
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Your solution does not seem to work with updating a text field that has dates to a Date field.  I get dates for 2029, 2028, 2014 and I get Months that are not correct, as well as dates that are off.  For example 12/28/18 becomes Jan 12, 2028.  Here is another example 02/22/19 becomes Jan 2, 2022

I would think there is a simple solution, but I am finding that I spend more time looking for a needle in a haystack than learning how to use this app.  Quite frustrating as it seems there are many who understand the coding, but as a newcomer, I feel I am being left out in the cold....

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Pete, here is a solution...

let myYear := number("20" + substr(YourTextDateField, 6));

let myMonth := number(substr(YourTextDateField, 0, 2));

let myDay := number(substr(YourTextDateField, 3, 2));

date(myYear, myMonth, myDay)

When you select "Update multiple records", choose your Date field and select "Assign calculated value" from the drop down box and enter the script there. Ninox is used internationally and I'm sure you are aware that there is more than one date format used around the world. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to accurately parse text dates especially if years are only 2 digits. Note, my solution will only work for years from 2000 forward.

• Retired
    • Pete
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Sean:

Thank you for your help.  My question is, how is a newbie supposed to figure out this scripting? I see what you did with the parsing. I will go back to the documentation and read up on substr() and see if I can get a handle on this.  

The script worked.  Thanks.  

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Pete, I have some previous programming experience... I thought you did too. It's all pretty much the same except for the syntax, a loop is a loop and a conditional is a conditional. I always look to this for syntax guidance...

https://ninoxdb.de/en/manual/calculations/reference-of-functions-and-language

I use command+f to search on the page for the item I'm looking for, but it is also grouped into sections. Here is another site you can look into for learning...

https://www.nioxus.com/ninox-manual-nioxus.htm

I have been accused of being willing to spend the time trying to fit square pegs into round holes on this forum ;) That's how I learn.

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

LOL, I just found out the programming section of the Nioxus manual requires a paid subscription. I never use it, but the last time I checked it out it was free.

• Retired
    • Pete
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

My scripting comes from Provue's Panorama database. I guess at the low cost for the app, the manual becomes a cost added item. But the link to the nioxus.com manual seems to be something that would be helpful. My skill level has deteriorated with age and I am self taught back from "Basic" to Pan to some Excel macros, so my understanding is a bit limited. I really appreciate your input and direction. Very helpful. I am taking my time as I have no real need to get projects done or converted, but want to stay sharp as long as possible during my "golden" years....ha, ha.

Again, thank you for your time and input.

• Choices_Software_Dean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I suggest you go to youtube.com and do a search on "Ninox Learning". Then click to see the Nioxus learning channel, which includes 43 free videos that are excellent. The videos were created by Andy Marks, a CPA, who owns Nioxus. Andy has done a great service to the Ninox community by creating all the free videos.

If you purchase a subscription at the Nioxus website you can gain access to their new users manual, which is detailed, with many cross references and graphics. Depending on your level of subscription, you can also gain access to unlocked Ninox solutions.

• Christian.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I beg to differ: The videos I saw were quite tedious because they tended to repeat the same (not really complicated fact) over and over again. So the video is stretched out over 20 minutes for content that could have been easily put into five.

And frankly, a users manual should be part of the product, not something you have to pay for separately. Just increase the price for the product if you can't finance a good manual otherwise. But forcing people to subscribe just to be able to read a users manual is a bit over the top. In my opinion, of course.

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Christian, Nioxus is a Ninox partner and not the developer. I think the name is unfortunate, but it used to be worse, Ninoxus, and probably created quite a bit of confusion. Nioxus is not the developer and most likely doesn't get any of the revenue from Ninox app sales and cloud services. The manual Nioxus has put together is its own product and not the developer's.

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 11Replies
  • 3081Views