How do I do a text calculation (e.g., First Name & " " & Last Name)

How do I do a text calculation (e.g., First Name & " " & Last Name)? So, if the contact's first name is "John" and his last name is "Doe", I want to  create a Full Name calculation that yields the result "John Doe" (e.g., First Name & " " & Last Name). I can do this in Filemaker and Excel... can I do it in Ninox?

12 replies

null
    • Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

The easy way..   See https://ninoxdb.de/en/manual/calculations/reference-of-functions-and-language

and search for "concat".. 

let fullName := 'First Name' + " " + 'Last Name';

I there is a concat function but that is not what you want here.. as it puts a comma space ", " in between the values. 

• John_Fallas
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi,

Of course you can. The formula to enter in the Full Name field is: text(First Name) + " " + (Last Name)

or using the visual composer: as text[First Name]+" "+Last Name

John

• jameslentini1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

That doesn't work. I get the error: ERR("Symbol expected: "")""")

• Nick
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Use this code:

First Name + " " + Last Name

• Nick
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

sorry...

'First Name' + " " + 'Last Name'

• John_Fallas
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Strange. All three work for me and the last one (with quotes) gets corrected to no quotes.

• jameslentini1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Okay, using 'First Name' + " " + 'Last Name' worked (John + Doe = John Doe), so then I added to it  + " " + 'Suffix' (suffix is a fields the contains endings like Jr., Sr., Esq., etc)... and my results was the error "UNDEFINED" 

Further, it removes the single quotes from 'Suffix' turning it into Suffix

• Ninox partner
    • RoSoft_Steven.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Does your suffix field comes from a dropdown selection? Then you must use: text(Suffix)

• jameslentini1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Great! That worked. Many thanks! Is there handy-dandy quick reference guide to all of the calculation functions and their syntax?

• jameslentini1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Context: I am considering converting a membership database currently maintain in Filemaker Pro; about 200 fields, and dozens of calculations (primarily text, but some COUNT and SUM functions). I have used FMPro since 1987, and am familiar with its scripting protocols (which is probably what is screwing me up with Ninox). How does Ninox compare to FMPro... is this a reasonable transition, or am I asking to much of Ninox?

• Jorg
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi,

You will find our Reference of functions and language here in our User Manual.
    https://ninoxdb.de/en/manual/calculations/reference-of-functions-and-language

Best, Jörg

• Rvl
    • 1 yr ago
    • Reported - view

Hey Girls (and Guys),
    I understand how to "calculate" me "fullName" field: i.e. First + " " + Last and it shows up brilliantly in the table all finely lined up in order of the FIRST NAME.  But i logically (at least my logic) want very thing lined up by the LAST NAME.  "order by 'Last Name' does not work.  Please can someone help?

Content aside

• 1 yr agoLast active
  • 12Replies
  • 2735Views
  • 1 Following