How can you relate existing databases, filled with records, in a quick and efficient way?

I used to keep track of my LEGO-collection in Excel, until I found this Ninox to be a very promising substitution for this purpose. I am not a database nerd. I have managed to create 3 tables, which I want to relate to each other. One table contains all individual bricks in my  posession ('Stenen'), another one table is for the LEGO-sets I own ('LEGO Sets MW'). Each  set consists of several differant bricks in variable quantities, that are specified in the third table, the 'Set Inventory'.

Now I want to relate these tables to each other, so I can I see per brick ('stenen") how many I posess and in which sets ('Set Inventory') they appear. Similarly, I want to relate each set (LEGO Sets MW) to the respective records of 'Set Inventory', so I can see what bricks and in which quantities, appear in a certain set. I can follow the instructions on relationships on how to that, that's not the problem.

My 'problem' is that the databses are filled with data, and the that I want to relate them in a quick and efficient way.

Relating them the way that the Tutorial Video III Part A describes means that I have to manually connect all records to each other. For instance, look up a certain brickID, searching for the brickID in the set inventory and then relating them to the brickID. I own more than 6000 different bricks, and each brick appears in one up to, sometimes, fifty different sets. There are over 150 sets that  consist of 40 up to 8000 bricks each. So, you can imagine that this will take a very long time to do manually.

Again, I'm certainly not a database connoisseur, but I expect that there is a quicker, faster way to accomplish this. 

Any suggestions?

Marcel

4 replies

null
    • Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view
    • marcelweber4
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Sean, thanks very much! Seems to work on first glance. I verify this, but am confident it works.

Agan, Thanks very much.

Marcel

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Marcel, you’re welcome. Yeah, the prospect of linking a bunch of records one at a time isn’t very appealing!

Sean

• Karen_Estrada
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

That is really cool, a Lego Collection dB!!! (I'm sorry, I know I'm not posting anything particularly helpful, but I just had to comment ...) -- what a tremendous collection! :-) 

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 4Replies
  • 1830Views