FAQ
D
Hi,

I have three questions. I will post them separately.

1. I’m having trouble importing a multi-line text field from Excel as a CSV. The text gets cut off. Is there a way to just import an Excel table? What's the best way to do this?

dbox
D
Hi,

Question 2:

Is there a formula for adding a line break in a text field?

Thanks,

dbox
D
Hi,

Question 3:

I’m trying to create a running summary of individual texts (appointment note). Notes field is in the Clients table and Appointment Note is in the Appointments table. I’ve referenced the Appointments table in the Clients table. Basically every time a new Appointment Note is created I want to concat the Appointment Note to the Notes field in the Clients table. I tried this as a trigger in the Appointment Note field [Clients.Notes := Appointments.'Appointment Note'] but that does not work.

Thought?

dbox
D
Ok. I figured this out.

Q: Is there a way to get the concat function to sort? And can I remove the commas?

dbox
Ninox Profile
Hi dbox,
please create a field "Notes" as f(x).
Formula:

replace(concat(Appointments.('Appointment Note' + "
")), "
,", "

")

Please insert quotation marks yourself. Wordpress does not write this correctly.

Here a sample database
https://www.dropbox.com/s/swmv85zp7e3uf2h/Appointments.ninox?dl=0

Explanation:
To insert linebreak, simply press enter (with quotation marks).
"replace" searches linebreaks with comma and replaces it with double linebreaks

The sorting function at concat is not known to me.

And to your first question.
The import multi-line texts works from Excel as csv works without problems. In the preview, the text is displayed only one line. When you import to end, the texts are transferred correctly.

regards
Leo
D
Leo,

Thank you for the formula and sample database. Very cool. I'll play let them to really understand your coding.

Q: Did commas in the target import text create problems since the import engine is looking for commas to delimit fields.

dbox
Ninox Profile
You can save excel as utf 16 unicode text. Select UTF 16 and tab as the separator when importing.
Or you can save as Windows CSV. There are the semicolons as a separator.

Leo
D
UTF-16 with Tab worked perfectly. Thank You :-)

Q: Is there a way to hide a field?

dbox
Ninox Profile
In table properties there is field: "Show only is..." and give a false statement like "1=2" and the field will not be displayed.

Birger
D
Leo,

Regarding the sample database, how would you import old appointment note records into the Appointments table while preserving the relationship to the Clients Table?

Thank you the help,

dbox