Default value for Location (lat / long)

The following steps are needed to record the current location when using Ninox on an iPad.     I see now "default" value.  Is there a function that can be called?     The use case is a damage assessment data capture application and as images are taken and added to the assessment, I would like to geocode them with an approximate lat/long. 

1.  Edit the location field

2. Select the directional compass arrow (bottom left)

3.  Click on the pin that was dropped

4.  Click Save (upper right)

8 replies

null
    • Mconneen
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

GEEZE.. I need new glasses... "...I see NO default.."  

• blackie
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Did you find a way to automagicly set the default location as the current location of the iPad, or iPhone?

• Mconneen
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Nope.

• blackie
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

:(   I think this would make a good feature request for things like asset tracking.

• Mconneen
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Most certainly ... I can envision a Damage Assessment type application that can be quickly deployed to iPads / iPhones.. and shared across utility partners during storm restoration.   Today.. we do it as layers on top of Arc GIS.. but that requires VPN, User IDs.. etc.. 

• Alexander_Koenig
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi, we have this feature on the change request list. Though we cannot tell exactly when it is going to be implemented.

There might be a workaround to use another service via API.

Best regards, Alex

• blackie
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I tried a HTML5 page with just location info, but that didn't work.

I spent a few hours trying to create a iPhone app based on the GCDWebServer Hello world example.

https://github.com/swisspol/GCDWebServer

The idea would be that the only thing the local webserver on the iPhone would respond with is a JSON object with the location.

I've never made a iphone/ipad app before...so it was a bit of a hassle for me to get anything working.

I can get the webserver app to run and respond with a JSON object, but only when it is in the foreground, and not with location information.

I was also able to get a location example working, but haven't been able to combine the webserver hello world example and location service example into a working app. I kind of gave up on it as the feature isn't very important to me. It just seemed like it should be easy if you know what you are doing. Unfortunately, I don't.

I was able to get an IP based location API to work, but it's not good enough for what I want.

let response := http("GET", "http://ip-api.com/json");
    Text := text(response);
    Location := location("IP: " + text(response.result.query + " " + response.result.city + " " + response.result.region), number(response.result.lat), number(response.result.lon))

• Mconneen
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I like your thinking blackie..   As the iPad / iPhone / Android platform exposes this..  Ninox should be able to consume it without having to write a wrapper / proxy application.   This is what we do today with ESRI Arcgis or Oracle Utilities Network Management system..  NO.. I do not want to recreate those on Ninox... but I want to be able to rapidly deploy iPads / iPhones for custom assessments.. and location is key. 

Content aside

• 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 8Replies
  • 3264Views