Creating a summary from data

I am trying to create a summary based on the data input for a particular event.  

Example:
Stage Number 2/20 P&P

The text Stage Number and P&P will remain constant throughout the event,  but the 2/20 will change from stage to stage, and I have a field that notes which stage I am on.  I'm trying to create a summary that will automatically fill in this data for me so that I can copy/paste the summary into another file.  I'm currently using Notes and filling the data in manually before copying/pasting.

Thoughts?

9 replies

null
    • Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I do not follow what you are trying to "summarize" and what you are trying to "automatically fill in"... sorry.. :(   Maybe a picture of your data model and/or suggested input form might help. 

• Walt_Baker
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

STAGE xx/xx P&P              

RIH WITH DYNA ENERGETICS 2.750" PERF GUNS, WBX2, CCL, DISCONNECT, SETTING TOOL 4 SPF, 24 SHOTS .375 EHD 60 DEG PHASE 20" CARRIER 15 GM CHARGE              

CORRELATE WITH PBR @ xx’ AND MAKE -xx’ CORRECTION 

PUMP DOWN: (xx HRS)    

xx BPM @ xx PSI    

xx BPM @ xx PSI          

xx BPM @ xx PSI   

xx BPM @ xx PSI                   

MAX RATE: xx BPM         MAX PSI: xx PSI    VOLUME: xx BBLS

SET BOSSHOG HELISEAL CFP  (3.50”) @ xx’ WLMD. 

LTEN xx/xx LBS      

PERFORATIONS:       

xx’ - xx’     

xx’ - xx’         

xx’ - xx’      

xx’ - xx’    *MOVED TO CLEAR CASING COLLAR

xx’ - xx’      

xx’ - xx’  

POOH @ xx HRS

WHP - xx PSI

• Walt_Baker
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

The xx is data that is observed during the event and entered into individual Number fields on the table.  Once all that data is input, I must create the summary above (and add more to it in plain text) and move that over to another database and an email report.  I'm trying to use Formula to automatically compile this data into one field.  I have figured out how to add my constant data in through TEXT, but I cannot get line spacing to work.  The summary ends up being one long sentence instead of the format you see above.

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Using the example in your first post you would combine the string like this...

"Stage Number " + YourStageField + " P&P"

if YourStageField is a Text field and 

"Stage Number " + text(YourStageField) + " P&P"

if it's a Number field.

You can insert line breaks using alt-enter between double quotes like this...

"PERFORATIONS:" + "

" + text(xx)

but, if you are going to use a lot of them it might be less confusing to assign the line break to a variable and then use that variable where you want the line break.

I assume the summaries being stored in a different table than the "xx" data?

• Walt_Baker
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you very much.  Yes, the wording of the summary is stored separately from the "xx" data since it is constant throughout all stages and the "xx" data must be input during each individual stage.

• Walt_Baker
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Is it possible to insert a sub-table (columns & rows) into a Formula field and have it visually identical to the sub-table itself?  I have 2 tables that I need to input as well as the rest of the summary data but every time I try to move sub-table data into the Formula field I end up with the values being displayed as a run-on sentence, or average, or gibbersh, etc instead of it looking like an actual table.  

I apologize for the crudeness/simplicity of my design, I don't write code.

Here is what I have written so far.  I have italicized and set in bold the lines that will be removed once I figure out how to insert the sub-table.

"STAGE " + 'Stage #:' + " OF " + 'Total Stages:' + " P&P" + "
    " + "
    " + ("RIH WITH DYNA ENERGETICS 2.750"" PERF GUNS, WBX2, CCL, DISCONNECT, SETTING TOOL 4 SPF, 24 SHOTS .375 EHD 60 DEG PHASE 20"" CARRIER 15 GM CHARGE " + "
    " + "
    " + "CORRELATE WITH PBR/XO @ ") + 'Liner Top:' + " AND MAKE " + Correction + " CORRECTION" + "
    " + "
    " + "PUMP-DOWN TIME: " + 'PD Time:' + "
    " + "xxx insert pumpdown table here xxx" + "
    " + "
    " + "MAX RATE - " + 'Max Rate (BPM)' + " MAX PRESS - " + 'Max Pressure (PSI)' + " VOLUME - " + 'Total Volume (BBLS)' + "
    " + "
    " + "SET " + Plug + " @ " + 'Plug Set Depth' + " WLMD" + "
    " + "PRE-LTEN " + 'Pre - LTEN' + " POST-LTEN " + 'Post - LTEN' + "
    " + "
    " + "PERFORATIONS:" + "
    " + "xxx insert perf table here xxx" + "
    " + "
    " + "POOH @ " + POOH + "
    " + "SIP " + 'SIP:' 

• Walt_Baker
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I fixed it for now.  I created a Formula that displays both of the items in each line of the sub-table and then in the Summary above I had it display the range function of the sub-table and it puts everything in place.  I'm sure there's an easier way, but this one works.

• Walt_Baker
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

"STAGE " + 'Stage #:' + " OF " + 'Total Stages:' + " P&P" + "
    " + "
    " + ("RIH WITH DYNA ENERGETICS 2.750"" PERF GUNS, WEIGHT BAR X 2, CCL, BRT DISCONNECT, #10 SETTING TOOL 4 SPF, 24 SHOTS .375 EHD 60 DEG PHASE 20"" CARRIER 15 GM CHARGE " + "
    " + "
    " + "CORRELATE WITH PBR/XO @ ") + 'Liner Top:' + " AND MAKE " + Correction + " CORRECTION" + "
    " + "
    " + "PUMP-DOWN TIME: " + 'PD Time:' + "
    " + 'Pump-down'.'Rate & Pressure' + "
    " + "
    " + "MAX RATE - " + 'Max Rate (BPM)' + " MAX PRESS - " + 'Max Pressure (PSI)' + " VOLUME - " + 'Total Volume (BBLS)' + "
    " + "
    " + "SET " + Plug + " @ " + 'Plug Set Depth' + " WLMD" + "
    " + "PRE-LTEN " + 'Pre - LTEN' + " POST-LTEN " + 'Post - LTEN' + "
    " + "
    " + "PERFORATIONS:" + "
    " + 'Perforation Schedule'.Range + "
    " + "POOH @ " + POOH + "
    " + "SIP " + 'SIP:'

• Walt_Baker
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Solved