Copy text value of local field to a linked field

Hi!
I got a table Stock with a text field "Supplier_Name". I saved the name of supplier in that field.
Then i decided to create a table Suppliers to have all the data of suppliers in there and link a supplier to a product. It also has a field "Name".
The tables are referenced from Stock to Suppliers N:1.

Now i want to put the values from "Stock.Supplier_Name" in linked field "Name".

But when i try to use "Update multiple fields" - Assign calculated Value" to put a value from text field "Stock.Supplier_Name" to linked field it does not work. The linked field stays empty. But it accepts numbers, so i conclude that it accpets IDs of suppliers, not the text.
How to insert text in there?

6 replies

null
    • Jorg
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Agassi, 

Do you have already the names of the suppliers in the field "Name" and want to set the referring field or vise versa that you have already done the referrence of the records and now you just wont to fill in the Name of the connected supplier from the Stock table?

Best, Jörg

• Agassi
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi!

Yes, i already have the records of all suppliers in Suppliers table, with their names.

I need to reference them to records from Stock table according to the name of the supplier stored in Stock table's Supplier_Name field.

I hope i explain well!

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Your posts appear to suggest two different scenarios. If you want to link records based on like field names then take a look at this...

https://ninoxdb.de/en/forum/technical-help-5ab8fe445fe2b42b7dd39ee7/is-it-possible-to-link-automatically-via-a-function-fields-in-two-tables-that-contain-the-same-text-5c6aaf80e850ad238982b496

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I meant to say "like field values" not names.

• Agassi
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Sean, its one scenario. Probably i explained bad.

An example would be better:

Table: Stock.

Fields:
    Product_Name - Botox;
    Supplier_Name (text field) - Allergan;
    Supplier (reference, the new one) - empty.

Table: Suppliers

Field:
    Name - Allergan

I want to link a record from Stock to record from Suppliers based on that Allergan value.

• Agassi
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Sorry, posted early.

Your suggestion is what i need, thank you very much!

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 6Replies
  • 1873Views