Best way to show "Created By", Modified By", "Created On" and "Modified On" on Forms and Views?

I notice that all default Ninox lists include "Created By", Modified By", "Created On" and "Modified On" columns that are hidden by default, but can be shown. However, those columns do not appear to be options under Forms and Views. What is the best way to show them under Forms and Views?

5 replies

null
    • Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

It's kind of wonky, but you can use the 'Created by', 'Modified by', etc in a Formula field. If I displayed those columns before I created the formula fields, I would get a "Circular reference" error. Hide the column, create the field and it worked. Also, if I just typed those field names in it wouldn't work, but if I clicked on "Show column..." and selected one of those options, clicked on "f(x)" and copied the formula, which is just the field name, and pasted it into the formula it worked.

• Choices_Software_Dean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Thank you. Yes, I see now that formular fields do work just by usng the field name. I have never fully understood formular fields. Are their results stored for each record? Do they recalculate every time a record is touched, displayed,  edited (or something else)?

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

That's a good question, but not one I can answer. I assumed the calculation was processed when a record received focus.

• Ninox partner
    • RoSoft_Steven.1
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I think( i always go for that) formular fields are always real time .... they are not stored for each record and always recalculated when displayed.

• Choices_Software_Dean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

It seems like a formular field is the only way to add one of the above four columns to a View. I just tried it by adding a 'Modified On' formular to a View. I assumed that I would not be able to sort on that column, because its data was not being saved, but I was wrong. It does support sorting. So the formular column must point to the real 'Modified On' column (that is alway hidden in a View).

Content aside

• 4 yrs agoLast active
  • 5Replies
  • 1871Views