About Ninox searching, indexing, search speed and file size
Ninox Profile

Under field properties what is the impact of checking or unchecking "Global search" and/or "Index"?

I realize that placing an index on a column will improve the speed of searches performed on that column, and increase the file size. If "index" is unchecked will that remove the column from global searches entirely, or just make them much slower as the number of records in the table increases?

Is the impact the same for local (ctrl & F key/cmd & F key) searches? 

Ninox Profile

@Westy.. what platform are you using?  Mac, iPad, Android, Web?   On the MacApp... I do not see an "index" option.  As for global search.. I have databases that have multiple tables with well over 100,000 rows each.. and see no noticable difference if tables / columns are in the global search. 

By design, I generally remove lookup / reference tables from global search. 

Ninox Profile

"Index" is not recommended for normal use but in some cases it is, Birger said we normally don't have to activate this.

I believe this is also still an experimental option (forgive me developers if i'm wrong).

"Global search" is wether you should find the result of that specific field back in the search command. In some cases this is not necessary, just think of recurring fields such as units (litres, kilograms, metres,...). This can be usefull to keep an overview in the search results and don't have redundant results.

Ninox Profile

I am using the Ninox Cloud.

Ninox Profile

@Westy, 

Ahh.. that is it..  Tough to keep up with all the platform differences.

cloudIndex