Can add comment to the Ninox query language

Is there possibility to add comment lines in the Ninox query language?

13 replies

null
    • Mconneen
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Good suggestion... As of now.. there are two leading practices for comments in formulas.. 

First (and my least favorite) is 

"just add a comment in quotes"

The reason it is my least favorite is.. there is a bit of debate if Ninox evaluates this as a return string.. 

Second... Declare a variable and assign it a string.. 

let c := "This is a comment";

c:="This is another comment";

• Sean
    • 4 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

@Mconneen, Absent any other return value the first method will be returned as a string in a Formula field. I imagine anyone wanting to document their code would be mindful of that. I prefer it to the second method because you can at least try to mimic commenting available in other programming languages, for example...

"// This is a comment";

Still, it will be nice once standard commenting is implemented in Ninox.

• M_ichel.1
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

+1

M_ichel

• Mel_Charles
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

+1

Mel

• Peter_Bosch
    • 3 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

+1

Peter

• UKenGB
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

+100

Years later and still no 'comment' facility? Really?

The alternatives mentined above are an awful kludge (no disrespect to the posters) as using quotes immediately falls over when the code you want to comment includes quotes - of the exact same type which you HAVE to use for literal text.

Since NX is loosely based on JavaScript we should have:-

// for single line comment

/*……

……*/ to span multiple lines

Heck even just shell script's # for each line would suffice.

No commenting makes code writing a nightmare when you need to remove parts of the code to test other parts. Multiple clipboards helps, but that's not a true solution, just another 'workaround'.

Is there any timeline on this?

• Sean
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

No disrespect UKenGB, but your constant complaining about Ninox is getting old. Maybe Ninox isn't for you.

• UKenGB
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I'm sorry you feel like that, but at the end of the day, I'm not wrong and Ninox IS for me in this instance. In any case who do you think you are to claim otherwise.

As for you, well, obviously you'll be getting no christmas cards from me. Here was I thinking this was a helpful forum. But there's always one to spoil the experience isn't there.

One of the problems I've been experiencing (complaining about as you call it) has been diagnosed as a bug by Ninox themselves and they are looking into a fix. But I guess as far as you're concerned, I should have kept my mouth shut, which would not have helped others running into the same bug. Good thinking.

Having only been messing with Ninox for a matter of days, there's a lot of re-learning to do. But I'm getting there and will eventually be in a position to provide help to others on this forum. I say "in a position to", but I won't. Not with the attitude of people like you on here. Well done.

No disrespect of course.

• Sean
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.47.28 AM

Clearly reading comprehension is not your forte and it goes a long way to explain many of your posts and why you are having so much trouble trying to grasp Ninox.

• UKenGB
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

I see you are very active on this forum, but rather suspect that's more a case of self aggrandizement than genuine desire to help. As for your ad hominem attack on me, you know nothing about me nor my capabilities nor obviously about my use of Ninox.

Stop being such an arrogant and unpleasant idiot sean and drop it.

• Sean
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 7.45.15 AM

Me: Maybe Ninox isn't for you

You: Ninox IS for me in this instance. In any case who do you think you are to claim otherwise

As for the personal attacks, well, I think you have that covered.

• Generation D Ltd
    • Quentin_Brown
    • 2 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Lets try and keep it civil and not too snarky guys!

+1 for method of delineating comments in functions code.

Super handy as mentioned for commenting out bits of incomplete code you are working on, or removing sections for testing as well as the function of actual comments to help you and others understand your code or when you come back to it after a while to make changes.

Would also love to see a way of opening the code/function entry page as a floating window so you can browse your DB and check names of tables and fields that dont' appear in linked Tables. (especially for using the select statement).

Built in function reference library with autocomplete, definitions and syntax would be brilliant too! 

I know Ninox tries to market itself as No-code but let's be real, most advanced applications built in it need to emply code and it's a part of the system.

• Tekl
    • 1 yr ago
    • Reported - view

I use a global function for this:

function __(comment : text) do
        void
    end;

__("A comment inside the script ");

Content aside

• 1 yr agoLast active
  • 13Replies
  • 2850Views